Thursday, March 20, 2008

Drugs in our Water and Terramin

The recent AP article that reported that trace pharmaceuticals, prescription and over-the-counter, are found in our drinking water has us all worried. But truly, our city tap water has never been a fount pristine of H2O. If you take a peek at the EPA website (don’t do it if you have a weak stomach,) you’ll surely avoid drinking water ever again. (Bear in mind that the list of possible contaminants in the water is measured in parts per billion, and not all regions have the same content. One has to contact their local water district manager to find out the particulars for one’s own area.)

This is a list of all the contaminate headings on the EPA’s safe water facts web page:
• Microbes
• Radionuclides
• Inorganic Contaminates including but not limited to mercury, cyanide, and chromium
• Synthetic Organic Contaminants, including pesticides & herbicides
• Volatile Organic Contaminants
• Disinfectants
• Disinfection Byproducts
• and a little extra something, a fuel additive called MTBE.
http://www.epa.gov/SAFEWATER/hfacts.html

I suppose the EPA will now have to update their website to include the heading: Trace Pharmaceuticals.

Mmmmm, thirsty?

This same AP article also stated that consuming only bottled water, or water from home filtration systems doesn’t necessarily protect you from ingesting these contaminants.

We can’t avoid drinking water, even if you stuck with all fruit and vegetable juices. (One too has to wonder if plant life metabolizes contaminants in water, or would they show up in the fruits and vegetables were they tested?) So what can we do?

This may not be the miracle answer, but I recently learned about Terramin (Calcium Montmorillonite) which is an edible clay. It is termed “living clay” for it has some very interesting properties that aid the body in eliminating some or all of the nasty pollutants. The more I read about this product, the more intrigued and impressed I became.

Here are some of the healing properties of this clay for humans and animals:

• It detoxifies the body. The clay which is negatively charged binds with positively charged pollutants in the body such as bacteria, heavy metals or inorganic contaminants as the EPA calls them.
• It has a ph of 8.3 which serves to alkalize the body which makes the body a hostile environment for cancer
• It is anti-parasitic
• Contains highly absorbable calcium - NASA astronauts take Terramin to prevent osteoporosis while in space.
• An immune booster
• Boosts the body’s enzyme production

Terramin has also been featured on the Discovery Channel, is used by the Gerson Institute, and has been studied by Dr. Neva Jensen who wrote "The Healing Power of Living Clay".

Given that I found no contraindications for Terramin in the numerous articles I’ve read, I’ve ordered a 2lb jar for myself and Nutramin for Dogs for my pet. If I can cleanse my body from the toxins that are tainting my water and environment with something as elemental as clay, then I’m going to give it a try. I’ll post my non-scientific findings here.

For more information on Terramin, visit California Earth Minerals, or do a custom Google search (see left hand column,) on edible clay, terramin, and/or calcium bentonite

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! If you're interested in learning more about healing clay, please visit www.AboutClay.com - it's a non-commercial information site dedicated to getting out the word on healing clays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using Terramin since mid-May and within a week, I noticed my knees were not aching after physical activity. I initially purchased the clay for a GI cleanse, but have liked the way my joints have responded to the clay, that I am going to continue taking the clay as a daily supplement.

    Side note: My skeptic husband is now "drinking dirt" (lol), after seeing how pleased I was with the results. =)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments and/or experiences with holistic cures and remedies.

Disclaimer

The Information Contained Herein Should not be Considered Medical Advice; Nor is it Meant to Treat, Diagnose, Prescribe or Cure Any Disease. Seek the Guidance of a Qualified Health Professional if You Have Concerns or Questions About your Health issues.

About Me

My photo
Southern California, United States
Holistic living, natural remedies have been part of my life since the early 80's. As a natural progression of my passion, I became a certified massage therapist in 2006, a Reiki Master in 2008, and in 2013 an Ayurveda Lifestyle Coach. I am here to promote natural healing, for it is my deep belief that with a little help from our friends and nature, we can all heal ourselves.