|Getting to Sleep Naturally|
Approximately 1 out of 8 people in the United States need to get better sleep. It’s no wonder that the sleep aids industry is a booming business and isn't going away any time soon. With about 32 million people suffering from insomnia there's no shortage of potential customers, but we can get to sleep without serious side effects that come with prescription sleep aids with specific foods and supplements. Check out these natural sleep aids:
- Calcium lactate -1000mg, or calcium chelate -1500-2000 mg
- Magnesium – 1000mg these supplements are best taken after meals and at bedtime. If taking calcium chelate, it’s recommended to take it in divided doses.
- B complex plus extra pantothenic acid; Inositol, and B6. Follow the label recommendations.
Foods high in tryptophan are also recommended as natural sleep aids:
- Whole grain bread
Bathe in Epsom salts:
- Epsom salts are high in magnesium which acts as a sedative for the nervous system and works as a muscle relaxant too. Add two cups of Epsom salts to your bath. Water temp should be close to body temperature at 98 degrees.
- Valerian root (which comes in extract or capsule forms)
- Passionflower (sip as a tea with chamomile)
Try L-theanine amino acid
- This is a wonderful sleep aid! L-theanine is a free form amino acid that calms and relaxes without side effects. It is derived from green tea.
Other causes of insomnia could include copper and iron deficiencies in women. A hair analysis should be done to determine if such deficiencies are present.
Fresh air, melatonin, relaxing with a book, soothing music, and a regular schedule are also effective sleeps aids.
Be sure to visit your doctor to rule out any underlying physical condition that might prevent you from sleeping.